Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Jumping the Hurdle of Vulnerability

Hi Jessie,

Just a little motivational post. I recently spoke in front of a class at Pepperdine after being invited to speak by the wife of our head baseball coach. She teaches a course on personal development and growth. The coolest thing about it, aside from hopefully inspiring some students, was the level of vulnerability: it was just me standing in front of people I did not know. I had an outline prepared but I decided to disregard it. I just wanted to share my story: no sugarcoating. 

The truth goes a long way and it flows so freely BUT I believe you have to be comfortable with the idea of sharing the truth. That's where the vulnerable state of mind comes into play. I think a testament of my growth under the Lord is that I feel comfortable being vulnerable. Maybe I am a bit ambitious at the moment, but vulnerability is so raw and organic. It puts us outside of our comfort zone, but it is reassuring to know God is on our side. I also believe that vulnerability helps us embrace who we are and where we are leading are lives. Change doesn't take place on its own: we have to put ourselves out there!

Anyhow, one of the themes that I reiterated to the students was that we all have the ability to rise above our circumstances. For this to take place, you have to put yourself in situations that are new, challenging and open before the world. "What do I have to lose?"

"Just keep pushing." That's what I tell myself everyday.  

I want to keep growing. I want to keep learning.








No comments:

Post a Comment