Thursday, May 9, 2013

Less is More

Hi Jessie,

For the past year I was blessed with the most amazing intern I could possibly hope for. She has become a lifetime friend - we confide in one another and share a strong relationship with God. Every now and then I will share a snapshot of my daily devotional with her. On the day of her graduation, God gave Alexis and I a necessary reminder.

Graduation can be a scary time. The structure of day-to-day life goes away - it is time for the "real world" as they call it. We think to ourselves that we must stride ahead on a journey full-force, with an immediate demand to accomplish things quickly and alone. We want the dream job. We want the dream life. We want, want, we want. 

But in all actuality, self-sufficiency is a myth perpetuated by pride and temporary success. 

We are NOTHING without HIM. 

God says, "Yes, you are going to lack things in life, but consider those a blessing." They bring us closer to Him.

It gives us an opportunity to latch onto Him in unashamed dependence. 




Whether we found ourselves as a recent college graduate, or a hard-working professional, we are always left with a level of uncertainty. We think WAY too much about what lays ahead - and it almost seems natural to do. Where is life taking me? What is my purpose? When will I find my special partner?

God awaits us in the present - that is where we belong. I visualize myself as His child, holding his hand. I am walking right next to Him. I'm never a step behind or a pace in front - I am always near and next to Him.

"Consider it pure joys, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds." James 1:2

Pure joy - that is what I seek.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, what an amazing visual Jamil. Side by side with Jesus as He leads us through this life. And as vulnerable as a child. Love.

    ReplyDelete