Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bloom and Blossom

Hi Jessie,

Good morning. I want to share a story that took place this past Sunday at our last home baseball (and event) of the season. 

I was hanging out with my student workers under a canopy at the entrance of the ballpark. We were halfway through the game and ready to enjoy the rest of the day (don't get us wrong - we love our Pepperdine Waves). I love speaking with my student workers about their life, interests, etc. The fifth inning of the game seemed to be dragging for hours (I am exaggerating of course). So I decided...let's all share one random fact about each other that nobody would guess about them.

That is when things began to bloom. As we continued in a circle, sharing truths about our lives, we began to blossom like May flowers (good analogy, right?). Honesty was cultivating within the circle of our storytelling. We started off with basic things and slowly moved over to more heavy truths. There was a strong sense of trust as we actively listened to one another. Whether these truths were random facts, aspirations, past life events or current circumstances - they all brought us closely together. Our mutual love for God and relationship with Him allowed us to engage in fellowship under the canopy. We confided in one another. 

I am a firm believer that if we all knew more about each other, the world would get along. Often we put up these plates of armor that protect our vulnerability. We fear judgement. We fear failure. We fear so many unknowns. Because yes, the unknowns of our lives can be scary.

But under that canopy, we were there to love. And we felt that love. And we wanted to remind each other that at the end of the day, love will always remain. 



"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
 - 1 Thessalonians 5:8



1 comment:

  1. This is exactly why I LOVE the platform we have. Isnt it so humbing to know that God has chosen you to minister those students? He chose you to use your platform for His glory. I think sometimes I get so caught up in wanting to change the world that I forget that even the simplest ministry that is right in front me can still make a HUGE impact. Jamil, you are such an inspriation and I LOVE hearing the impact you are making. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete